Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Day 1


My journey to German started two days ago with the back of my Mom's expedition loaded with the two large bags that held everything I felt I'd need for the next six months.


After a last meal at Atlanta's Mary Mac's, checking my bags at the airport and saying all my goodbyes, it was time to wait for my flight. Largely uneventful, except for the Pac-Man sweater I saw.
Pac-Sweater

Once on the plane I sat down in my window seat and waited for take off and to sit there for nine hours. 
Cloudy Day in Atlanta

There weren't any outlets on this plane, unlike a couple I have been on recently, which precluded me from using my laptop. Luckily though all of the in-flight movies were free. There was actually a very surprising selection of new movies along with plenty of old ones, such as "Doctor Zhivago", "War Games", and "Aliens". Since I've never been able to sleep on a plane I ended up watching Aliens, two of the Taken movies(which I had never seen) and part of War Games before landing. 

Sun Rise over England
At last though I arrived in Stuttgart.



Once I got through customs and went to my hotel, I immediately slept for a few hours since by that point I'd been up for over 24 hours.

My hotel room, after being lived in a bit of course
After sleeping a few hours, I decided to get up and explore a bit of Stuttgart. I usually try to give myself a main destination when exploring, so I decided to make my way to a vintage video game store I had read about.

Schlossplatz
Rocky is apparently a musical now
After about an hour I made it to the Verleinhix. I ended up not getting anything, but it was interesting to see at least.

It was about seven when I was done here so I decided to start making my way back to my hotel. On the return I decided to take the U-Bahn, the tram/subway system. When buying the ticket I found out that the system operates by zones, and you're charged depending on the number of zones you travel through. Though like my previous experience in the Czech Republic the trains operate more on the honor system. You just walk on to the train, though I suppose the fine for not having a ticket is very large.

After arriving back at my hotel I was pretty hungry, not having really eaten since getting off the plane. This in combination with me being really tired, I decided to just get a chicken sandwich from a local restaurant, Chicken Tom. The food was good, but the place also has one of the best logos that I've ever seen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment