Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Day 3

Today was the day I finally moved into the apartment I'm staying in for the next six months. So after packing all of my stuff up I headed off to the Stuttgart suburb of Böblingen. That's not to say Böblingen is small, it actually has it's own domestic airport (Update:Was wrong on this one, apparently they just call the area around where the airfield used to be flugfield still) and a Mercedes car plant is based here.
Böblingen train station
After arriving I headed over to the where my apartment is located, only about two blocks away from the train station. I'll admit I had a little trouble finding it since it's located in an apartment complex where every building looks the same. Eventually though I sorted out the location and met my landlady Helga

Helga
She was very nice and showed me around the apartment, showing me how everything works, where the washing machine is, etc. She also made it very clear to me that I should never put recyclables in the trash since they take it very seriously in Germany. 

My room in the apartment
The kitchen

I also met my roommate Karl in the evening, he was quite nice. He seems to work a lot as he explained to me he has never used anything in the kitchen, choosing to eat at his company most of the time.

After moving in I took some time to explore the area around my apartment. There's a fairly large shopping mall located nearby so I took a look in there first.

It was a pretty standard mall, though I noticed that restaurants are spread throughout the mall instead of being centralized like in America. There was also a supermarket on floor (-1) of the mall so I did some grocery shopping there. I didn't buy anything crazy on this run, though I did have to buy a reusable bag as it turns out they charge you for every plastic bag you use. 


No comments:

Post a Comment